[rabbitmq-discuss] An easy cross-platform way to start RabbitMQ programatically?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 19 08:06:17 BST 2011

Michael,

On 17/07/11 19:36, Michael Klishin wrote:
> is really no easy cross-platform way to start RabbitMQ
> programmatically?

What would that look like? Bear in mind that this would have to work on
Windows, MacOS, Debian, ...

The closest we have are rabbitmq-server script on Unixes and the
rabbitmq-server.bat script on Windows, which do behave in much the same
way. Though you have to locate them first. Mind you, if you have managed
to locate rabbitmqctl then locating the rabbitmq-server script should be
easy, since the two are sitting alongside each other.

> Thanks to rabbitmqctl I can stop and obtain pid of the broker easily,
> and killing it programmatically is trivial, too.

Instead of shutting down rabbit completely, you could just stop/start
the rabbit app (with 'rabbitmqctl {start,stop}_app').

Regards,

Matthias.