[rabbitmq-discuss] failure on startup

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Fri Jan 21 14:01:36 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Jerry Kuch <jerryk at vmware.com> wrote:

> > ps -ax reveals that epmd is in fact running.  I googled even harder
> > after mailing the list and have also seen that it appears to be
> > related to erlang (epmd specifically) for the exact problem you are
> > talking about.
> >
> > I killed epmd and started it up in debugging mode
> > (epmd -d -d -d) and then issued the requested command line, erl
> > -name bogusnode
> >
> > the command line reported the following:
> > [jlh at hydra ~]$ erl -name bogusnode
> > {error_logger,{{2011,1,19},{22,46,41}},"Protocol: ~p: register
> > error:
> >
> ~p~n",["inet_tcp",{{badmatch,{error,epmd_close}},[{inet_tcp_dist,listen,1},{net_kernel,start_protos,4},{net_kernel,start_protos,3},{net_kernel,init_node,2},{net_kernel,init,1},{gen_server,init_it,6},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}]}
> > Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump Kernel pid terminated
> > (application_controller)
> >
> ({application_start_failure,kernel,{shutdown,{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}})
> >
> > Which is the same type of error, badmatch,{error,epmd_close} as when
> > I try to start RabbitMQ
> >
> > I'll start following up on the erlang
> > forums, I'd rather not start off using an old version of erlang.
> >
> > Thank you so much for getting me pointed in the proper direction!
>
> Hi, Jeff...
>
> Glad it helped get you make some headway, and sorry you've had trouble.
>
> BTW, if you wouldn't mind copying this list with your results, whether
> from applying the aforementioned patch to a built-from-source Erlang
> of your own, or upgrading to a specific newer one that already
> incorporates it (if such a thing currently exists---I'm not sure it
> does yet), that would be great.  That way there's a Google-able record
> of the problem and a solution for other folks who may encounter it to
> come across...
>
> Best regards,
> Jerry

I emailed the maintainer for the FreeBSD port but haven't heard back from
them as yet.  For now, I've implemented the work around @
http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/crash-dump-at-ejabberd-startup-td3044533.html
..
 However, I wouldn't call this a "patch" as the current FreeBSD port is
suppose to recognize a connection from an ip that matches the local ip, as
being a true "Local".

I'll follow up on this post when I hear back from the official port
maintainer.

Best,

Jeff