[rabbitmq-discuss] failure on startup

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Thu Jan 20 18:56:57 GMT 2011

> ps -ax reveals that epmd is in fact running.  I googled even harder
> after mailing the list and have also seen that it appears to be
> related to erlang (epmd specifically) for the exact problem you are
> talking about.
>
> I killed epmd and started it up in debugging mode
> (epmd -d -d -d) and then issued the requested command line, erl
> -name bogusnode
>
> the command line reported the following:
> [jlh at hydra ~]$ erl -name bogusnode
> {error_logger,{{2011,1,19},{22,46,41}},"Protocol: ~p: register
> error:
> ~p~n",["inet_tcp",{{badmatch,{error,epmd_close}},[{inet_tcp_dist,listen,1},{net_kernel,start_protos,4},{net_kernel,start_protos,3},{net_kernel,init_node,2},{net_kernel,init,1},{gen_server,init_it,6},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}]}
> Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump Kernel pid terminated
> (application_controller)
> ({application_start_failure,kernel,{shutdown,{kernel,start,[normal,[]]}}})
>
> Which is the same type of error, badmatch,{error,epmd_close} as when
> I try to start RabbitMQ
>
> I'll start following up on the erlang
> forums, I'd rather not start off using an old version of erlang.
>
> Thank you so much for getting me pointed in the proper direction!

Hi, Jeff...

Glad it helped get you make some headway, and sorry you've had trouble.

BTW, if you wouldn't mind copying this list with your results, whether
from applying the aforementioned patch to a built-from-source Erlang
of your own, or upgrading to a specific newer one that already
incorporates it (if such a thing currently exists---I'm not sure it
does yet), that would be great.  That way there's a Google-able record
of the problem and a solution for other folks who may encounter it to
come across...

Best regards,
Jerry