[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server crashes

David Schmidt d.schmidt at tripwolf.com
Thu Apr 21 15:54:37 BST 2011

On 04/19/2011 12:08 PM, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 06:47:42PM +0200, David Schmidt wrote:
>> I am using RabbitMQ for a project and recently rabbitmq-server is
>> crashing after some time.
>>
>> I am merely using 3 queues to distribute work among processes. no fancy
>> configuration.
>>
>> The /var/log/rabbitmw/shutdown_err is empty and the other logfiles have
>> no hints either.
>>

>> A possible reason might be that one of the queues is growing beyond
>> allowed memory size. But shouldn't that cause a log entry of some kind?
>
> If you're getting near the memory limits then yes, there should be
> entries in the logs.
>
> Note that Rabbit basically assumes it's going to have 80% of the
> machine's RAM available for itself. If that's not the case, you need to
> reduce the memory high watermark - see
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#memsup
>
> However, you should also be able to see what's going on by inspecting
> the state of the queues with rabbitmqctl list_queues (though see man
> rabbitmqctl for other things you might like to monitor). Unless you've
> basically got almost no free memory left by the time you start using
> Rabbit, it should be fairly hard to make rabbit crash.
>
> And it's extremely unlikely Rabbit is crashing without putting out some
> sort of crash report somewhere.
>
> Matthew

Thanks for your reply aswell

rabbitmq-server crashed, using rabbitmqctl quite understandably yields:

rabbitmqctl list_queues name messages
Listing queues ...
Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at db19: nodedown
diagnostics:
- nodes and their ports on db19: [{rabbitmqctl26359,39062}]
- current node: rabbitmqctl26359 at db19
- current node home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
- current node cookie hash: MGjkgA5U5XxYMPKTviwAWw==

david