[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server crashes

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Tue Apr 19 11:08:08 BST 2011

Hi David,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 06:47:42PM +0200, David Schmidt wrote:
> I am using RabbitMQ for a project and recently rabbitmq-server is
> crashing after some time.
>
> I am merely using 3 queues to distribute work among processes. no fancy
> configuration.
>
> The /var/log/rabbitmw/shutdown_err is empty and the other logfiles have
> no hints either.
>

> A possible reason might be that one of the queues is growing beyond
> allowed memory size. But shouldn't that cause a log entry of some kind?

If you're getting near the memory limits then yes, there should be
entries in the logs.

Note that Rabbit basically assumes it's going to have 80% of the
machine's RAM available for itself. If that's not the case, you need to
reduce the memory high watermark - see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#memsup

However, you should also be able to see what's going on by inspecting
the state of the queues with rabbitmqctl list_queues (though see man
rabbitmqctl for other things you might like to monitor). Unless you've
basically got almost no free memory left by the time you start using
Rabbit, it should be fairly hard to make rabbit crash.

And it's extremely unlikely Rabbit is crashing without putting out some
sort of crash report somewhere.

Matthew