[rabbitmq-discuss] Issue with RabbitMQ 2.4 management plugin and mochiweb 1.4.1 rpm on RHEL

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Apr 6 11:37:49 BST 2011

Hi Jeroen.

On 06/04/11 11:12, Jeroen Janssen wrote:
> It seems I have erlang-mochiweb 1.4.1 installed (it is required as
> dependency for another application), but the management plugin depends
> on the mochiweb 1.3 (as far as I can tell from unzipping the
> mochiweb-2.4.0.ez and looking at the mochiweb.app file).

Yeah, we should make that clearer (and hopefully will soon, there are
some cleanups to our packaging coming).

> Am I correct to understand that rabbitmq (incorrectly) tries to use
> the installed erlang-mochiweb 1.4.1 rpm instead of the plugin
> mochiweb-2.4.0.ez?

Ouch.

Yes, it looks like we're picking up the Mochiweb from the RPM. The
trouble is, there's no very obvious way to avoid doing that - looks like
that RPM is installing Mochiweb into the standard Erlang lib location,
so I don't see how we could avoid seeing it.

I don't think that's a terribly good way to package Erlang code as it
forces that version on everything on the system.

We'll have a look and see if there's any way for the boot script builder
to work around this, but I'm not too hopeful.

I admit I haven't been keeping up with Mochiweb changes, but what
happens if you remove the Mochiweb .ez and try to run with 1.4.1?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ