[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ not responding / not sending any errors to client

diez flatline at stresstiming.de
Mon Sep 13 15:32:40 BST 2010

Hi,

we are evaluating Rabbit as a solution for huge high performance and
high load environment.
During our tests we found encountered some problems with the clients we
used.

Our Environment consists of the following:

RabbitMQ using the new persister (version 2.0.0)
Debian Linux Lenny 5.0 (without any special tweaks)
Consumer and Producer written in Java with the spring-source generic
library (2.0.0) taken from rabbitmq website.

Our primary concern:

When the RabbitMQ Server runs into the vm_memory_high_watermark (or any
other load related issue) it does NOT communicate this to the clients.
We are not able to detect this failure on the client side. Obviously
there is a mechanism included in the Java client that seems to be the
right place to implement code to deal with this situation.

        channel.setReturnListener(new ReturnListener() {

                @Override
                public void handleBasicReturn(int arg0, String arg1,
String arg2,
                        String arg3, BasicProperties arg4, byte[] arg5)
throws IOException {

                    System.out.println("Error: " + arg1);
                }
            });

If we run into the situation descibed above the ReturnListener isn't
invoked at all. Please note: The Server  (better the OTP Environment) is
configured not to consume all the systems memory, we decreased the
vm_memory_high_watermark to a realtively low level of some megs. So the
underlying operation system should not be the problem.

Is it necessary to configure the server in a special way to make this
work or are we missing anything else?

Sincerely your's

Dieter Schmidt