[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Backup

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 27 17:54:30 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 05:40:26PM +0100, David Wragg wrote:
> "Ahmed M. Osman" <a.medhat.cs at gmail.com> writes:
> > OK, i can get it now this two folders (Debian based system) :
> > /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at machine-name/msg_store_persistent/
> > /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at machine-name/msg_store_transient/
> > doesn't belongs to Mnesia am i right ?

Yes. You also need the
/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at machine-name/queues/ dir.

Just coping around the whole of
/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at machine-name or even
/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia as you suggest, is your best bet.

> An interesting question is whether the above backup procedure will work
> without stopping rabbitmq-server.  It would probably seem to work, but
> whether it works under all circumstances is uncertain.  Though it would
> certainly work if you use a filesystem that can give you point-in-time
> snapshots.

Yes, though of course given the amount of buffering we do before any
write actually occurs, there's a good chance you'll miss many messages
(unless you're using transactions). Stopping rabbit cleanly causes all
such buffers to be flushed.

Matthew