[rabbitmq-discuss] Routing key questions/suggestions

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 30 21:53:07 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 06:06:19PM +0000, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 09:43:49AM -0800, Christian Legnitto wrote:
> > 1. Why use "." as the routing token separator?
>
> Well, something has to be chosen, and whatever is chosen is going to be
> inconvenient for someone. I don't know whether there was some reason to
> choose . over anything else.

Actually, I reckon any of 0x1C to 0x1F in C0 are designed for this.
Probably 0x1F being the best idea, given:

"Can be used as delimiters to mark fields of data structures. If used
for hierarchical levels, US is the lowest level (dividing plain-text
data items), while RS, GS, and FS are of increasing level to divide
groups made up of items of the level beneath it."[0]

Matthew

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_separator