[rabbitmq-discuss] Running rabbitmq client on visual studio 2005

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Thu Nov 11 10:51:13 GMT 2010

Vincent Cheong <vincentcheongst at gmail.com> writes:
> I did not get install mingw using the install script. It is a pretty up to
> date version (libs and compilers) that I have been using all along. I've
> checked my PATH there's only one mingw/bin.

Ah, I see.  I'm afraid that the easiest way forward for you will be to
do a second temporary install of mingw using the script - you can delete
it as soon as the build has worked :-)

> [...]
>
> I've been looking at error statement again.
> cl : Command line error D8021 : invalid numeric argument '/Wl,-DLL'
> the cl command seems to be expecting a numeral after /W. Could the cl option
> be /W1 or /WL instead or /Wl?

-Wl,-DLL is a gcc option, and cl.exe generally has a completely
different option syntax.  Why libtool is passing that option to cl.exe,
I don't know.  libtool's support for the MS toolchain seems to be quite
weak, and I was only able to get 2.2.7a to work by patching its output.
I wouldn't be surprised if later versions break that support completely.
So at the moment, you really need 2.2.7a.

I don't know if there will be such strict dependencies on the other
required mingw/msys packages.  You might be able to make it work just by
changing your version of libtool, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I will clarify the build
instructions.

David

--
David Wragg