[rabbitmq-discuss] |Spam| |Spam| broker going down, how to troubleshoot?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 5 19:28:16 GMT 2010

Shane,

Shane Witbeck wrote:
> The rabbit-sasl.log is 5MB but the last entry was from Oct 28.

Right. So clearly something went wrong before that date since the sasl
log should normally be empty.

> Yesterday the broker went down at ~2pm, so not the same time every day.
> The rabbit started via "rabbitmq-server start -detached"

That's a strange way to start rabbit. Where did you get that from? How
did you install rabbit? We generally recommend that people install
rabbit from the package for their o/s and start/stop it using the
appropriate system commands. On SuSe that should be s.t. like

/sbin/service rabbitmq-server start

(according to http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#rpm - I am not a SuSe
expert)

Though that doesn't quite explain why rabbit would die. Is there
anything noteworthy in the system logs? Perhaps rabbit is being nuked by
the infamous OOM Killer.

Matthias.
PS: please keep rabbitmq-discuss cc'ed.