[rabbitmq-discuss] Exception on TCP connection

Dave Greggory davegreggory at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 15:43:22 GMT 2010

Every once in a while we notice this error in our RabbitMQ logs. Any idea what
this means?

 =ERROR REPORT==== 2-Nov-2010::19:37:31 ===
exception on TCP connection <0.10945.3> from 192.168.210.9:14189
{timeout,running}
We run 2 RabbitMQ 2.0 nodes unclustered, sitting behind a load balancer.  Only 1
RabbitMQ node active at a time in the load balancer. Second one  is there mainly
for failing over to.

When this happens the shutdown listener on the Java Client API does not fire in
spite of having AMQP Heartbeats enabled. There are no other significant entries
in the logs. Just the standard "starting TCP connection",  "closing TCP
connection", "accepted TCP connection" and "connection_closed_abruptly" entries
(Connection closed abruptly is just the load balancer checking whether Rabbit
node is alive).