[rabbitmq-discuss] Error running rabbitmqctl

Russell Borogove russell at borogove.org
Fri Jun 25 03:06:16 BST 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 5:33 PM, David Wragg wrote:
> Russell Borogove <russell at borogove.org> writes:
>>
>> russell at shard ~: sudo su -m rabbitmq -c "echo $HOME"
>> /Users/russell
>
> Note that, because of the double quotes, $HOME will be substituted by
> your shell running as your normal user, therefore it will always reflect
> your normal home directory.  You want single quotes.

Oy. I remain, after 22 years of using it, a unix novice. That makes perfect
sense.

> I would expect the following command to yield /Users/rabbitmq for you:
>
> $ sudo su rabbitmq -c 'echo $HOME'

russell at shard ~: sudo su rabbitmq -c 'echo $HOME'
Password:
su: /dev/null: Permission denied
russell at shard ~: sudo su -m rabbitmq -c 'echo $HOME'
/Users/russell
russell at shard ~:

The user rabbitmq has /dev/null listed as a shell.

> If so, the fix might just be to remove the -m option.  Right now, I
> don't grasp why that option was inclued in the wrapper script.
>
> I'll file a bug for this as soon as I've reproduced your problem.
> Testing rabbitmq-server on macports is a big awkward at the moment due
> to the premature inclusion of erlang R14A, so this might take a few
> days.

No hurry; I've given up on the MacPorts version of rabbitmq. Our new strategy
is to run our development servers on Ubuntu running in VMWare, and getting
rabbit to run there was relatively painless.