[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue durability

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 18:20:07 GMT 2010

> Do you know why your systems are running out of memory? It certainly
> shouldn't be due to rabbit, if you have the memory thresholds configured
> correctly.

They're running out of memory because they have too much stuff running
on them that uses memory :)  Rabbit is one of the processes
(apparently the hungriest single process), but it's far from the only
process.  To be honest, I'm not sure why it's the hungriest process
either, but perhaps my other thread will help resolve that.

> It should be pretty nuke proof. Matthew may be able to elaborate once
> he's back from holiday next week.
>
> You certainly shouldn't be losing entire queues, and if you do I would
> at the very least expect there to be some errors in the logs. Is there
> nothing of interest in the rabbit.log and rabbit-sasl.log?

That's another problem, I guess.  When rabbit starts, it truncates its
previous logs (at least by default).  Our system has a supervisor
process that restarts dead processes, so when rabbit dies it gets
restarted immediately, which loses the logs of the previous crash.  I
suppose I should put some log rotation in my rabbit startup code, but
I haven't done that yet.  Is there an option to have rabbit rotate its
old logs, instead of truncating them?