[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: Client-connection failover workarounds (ruby)

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Mon Feb 8 12:42:06 GMT 2010

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 06:29:45AM -0600, Peter Fitzgibbons wrote:
> Could you direct me to an example of how to set up a "stand alone" shovel?

The shovel does not run stand-alone - it is a plugin. The old shovel
that you found at [1] is very old, unsupported and deprecated. The new
shovel that Matthias linked to is the "way forward" ;)

> The only example[1] i found is demonstrating an embedded shovel as rabbitmq
> plugin.  This seems to be my degenerate case all over again.  No?

Nope. To use your terminology, if you have rabbitP, which is local to
producerP, then you then have the option to run the shovel inside
rabbitP. This is configured to know about rabbitA, rabbitB… and so if
any of those rabbits go down, the shovel will automatically try to
reconnect, trying all the rabbits it knows about until it finds one that
works. Whilst the shovel is trying to find a rabbit to connect to,
messages queue up inside rabbitP, from producerP, in the normal way -
the interruption is totally invisible to producerP.

> [1]
> http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/6/22/introducing-shovel-an-amqp-relay.html

Matthew