[rabbitmq-discuss] file chunking for .net client?

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:50:49 GMT 2010

Bob,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Bob <groundduckleg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, I heard there were file chunking clients out there to help break
> apart large messages.

As I recall someone wrote one of these for Java but - annoyingly - I
cannot find it in my link store.

However, if you can read Ruby you could look at Nanite which supports
this mode of dealing with files as chunks.

AMQP 0-8 included mention of a "stream" transfer class. However, no one
implements it, and it's gone in AMQP 0-9-1. It is the responsibility of
applications to chunk large messages if they need to.

> Does anyone know of one for .net or even what the best
> way to handle large messages is?

I do not know of one for .NET but I cannot imagine it would be that
hard to write if you take our C# client as a starting point.

Now, you may not need file chunking at all:

A single AMQP message is an atomic unit within RabbitMQ: whilst it can
be broken up into frames and interleaved with other messages on the
wire, once it's taken off the wire and exists within Rabbit, it is
atomic: in particular, we do not start routing and sending out a
message before we've finished receiving it.

As a rule of thumb, assume that the largest message that RabbitMQ can
cope with as an AMQP message is not more than 25% of your available
RAM, assuming that no other messages are consuming RAM at the same
time.  But, I would test this out.  You may find that the limit in
practice is lower than 25%.

How big are your messages?

alexis