[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ HA with Redis

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:51:41 BST 2010

Gustavo,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Gustavo Aquino
<aquino.gustavo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexis,
> Why not one HA OOTB can be provided ?

As I mentioned, we are about to release an HA Guide which provides our
recommendation for HA today, that we can stand behind.  In other words
- you can trust us to commercially support that solution and provide
SLAs.

You are correct that we *could* provide a single configuration OOTB
for HA.  The question is: which one.

Bear in mind that HA behaviour combines:

* Immediate acceptance
* Immediate delivery
* Eventual acceptance
* Eventual delivery

Note that:

(a) these requirements are in tension with one another; so it is
expensive to provide a system that is able to provide all of them at
once so that, somehow, the system works out what each message needs
and reacts accordingly based on need.

(b) more importantly, the requirements are based on a notion of TIME.
This is problematic because time based guarantees are
non-deterministic.  For some systems an unavailability window of 1ms
is fine because the client can wait.  For others it is too big.  Many
things can affect this.  For example you could be running a messaging
system on a real time Linux kernel, but still have variance in your
failover window due to how your network and disk hardware is behaving
based on (eg) load and contention.

This is all ok, but we need to make our assumptions *explicit* for any
one HA OOTB solution.

> do you have one HP OOTB solution why
> not HA ? May be one HA OOTB is not the best solution, and may be not attend
> 100% of users but may be 70% and it's sounds good for me not for you ?.

Yes that's fine Gustavo, but as soon as you make a promise about one
configuration being "HA" then people immediately expect that you can
do things that break the laws of physics.

> We know about one AMQP product that have a HA OOTB solution, and we are
> trying this "HA OOTB" and this product will be used in CME. But can't do the
> same with RabbitMQ.

Why don't you describe the main HA parameters that you need, on this
list, and we can talk about them.

Also: Do you want to see a copy of the HA Guide?

> I understand you, and you know my case, we are working in
> microseconds/nanoseconds, may be this HA don't attend our requirements, but
> it is one solutions and until now we don't have a good solution for HA using
> Rabbit, about HP we don't need nothing to talk about RabbitMQ is very good
> Broker routing 2.000.000 messages per second just inboud. But one good HA
> solution is getting my sleep.

I'm sorry to hear that we are keeping you awake at night.

> Do you know what we need,we talked about that is just one HA solution from
> RabbitMQ with a very low latency, SLA and guarantee that no messages will be
> loosed. O.S cluster or putting HA logic in our application is not a good
> solution in our case.

Actually, doing dedup on the consumer could be a very good solution
based on what you have told me in the past.  But, let's keep
discussing it.

alexis