[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Socket Server

Alex Gentle alexgentle at sify.com
Tue Sep 22 03:28:20 BST 2009

Hi Chuck,

>I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Your original post indicated
that your code did not work but now you are worried about performance. Let's
get your code working first and then you can worry >about optimizing it
later.

>Can you successfully publish your messages yet? If so, can you pop them off
of the queue to read them?

Yes. The code is working. I can publish and retrieve the messages from the
queue. It works well.

>Polling is usually a bad idea particularly since it requires a lot of
unnecessary messaging. Most AMQP libraries I have seen allow for two ways to
fetch messages. One way is to "get" them from the >queue which is a
synchronous operation. The second way is to "subscribe" to a queue and have
it asynchronously push messages to the subscriber. You want to investigate
this second methodology >for your application. Async operations result in
slightly more complex code but they will let you scale better than
polling/synchronous operations.

This is news to me. I thought that client has to run the call to fetch the
message that is in the client's queue, even if the client subscribes to it.
Could you please explain pushing messages to the subscriber. If I have
socket server in the middle, will it block the pushed messages? I want to
trigger some kind of signal from rabbitmq to the client when a message is
waiting for the client so that client doesn't need to poll every few
seconds.

Thank you.