[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering Issue

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Sep 1 11:44:44 BST 2009

Hi Jorge,

Jorge Varona wrote:
> do you have any recommendations on how I could
> provide a higher durability and fault-tolerance guarantees to my
> consumers?

There are a couple of approaches you could use, depending on your exact
requirements and the level of complexity you're willing to cope with.
The two main classes of solution are

 - run a shared filesystem underneath rabbit, with a hot standby if
   one server should fail. This separates data availability from
   service availability, and reduces the "no service" window to the
   failover interval.

 - run two servers and route *all* traffic through *both*, deduping
   at the receiving client. This gives as many nines of uptime as you
   want, at a cost in administrative complexity and bandwidth wastage

We've been talking about this stuff to various people recently so have
some illustrations of what we mean that might be useful: see
http://dev.lshift.net/tonyg/rabbitmq-intro-ha.pdf. [1]

Regards,
  Tony

[1]: A slightly earlier slide deck has a little bit more explanation
attached, and carries similar content otherwise:
http://dev.lshift.net/tonyg/Achieving%20Scale%20with%20Messaging%20and%20the%20Cloud%2020090709%20(with%20notes).pdf

--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net