[rabbitmq-discuss] beginners question about RabbitMQ over HTTP

Josh Geisser josh at gebaschtel.ch
Tue Sep 1 11:15:27 BST 2009

Hi Paul

Yes, this explains quite a few things. Using the native TCP would be anyway better than encapsulated in HTTP where you loose the ability to have Synchronous transmissions, etc.

Your suggestion with stunnel / abusing the https-'hole' would work with most proxies quite well, unless you got a proxy with 'deep inspection'. (normal proxy just 'bridge' the https session, deep inspection actually decrypts the session, validates content and re-package the traffic again. Means that the nice little use-putty-with-proxy-against-443-ssh does not work with such proxies.)

I'd rather had an open tcp port, but explaining this to the network/security guy's will result in a big fuzz and discussions and meetings and so on and since it's not business critical I'll never get through with this request (sorry, I'm damaged by big companies :))

What I want to check out after my holidays would be http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html which promises (to me) exactly what I'm looking for...

Cheers
Josh