[rabbitmq-discuss] Weird Issue when cluster member restarts

Arun Suresh arun.suresh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 02:28:09 GMT 2009

Hi..

My setup is as follows :
* 2 RabbitMQ (1.7.0 running on R13B02.1) servers in a cluster (say rabbit at m1,
rabbit at m2).. both disk nodes.
* 2 Clients (client at m1 connected to rabbit at m1, client at m2 connected to
rabbit at m2). I am using the Erlang client (which currently has an issue when
connecting to a server which is part of a cluster... this I fixed by setting
"insist = true" in the #'connection.open' record)
* both clients have processes that have subscribed to the same durable Queue
(Q) using the same key (K). Q is bound to a durable topic exchange (X). X
and Q are created on rabbit at m1.

Now this is what i do..
* I bring down rabbit at m1, and client at m1 (They are co hosted... so both are
brought down together). I do a "rabbitmqctl list_queues" on rabbit at m2... I
do not see Q there..
* I bring rabbit at m1 up again... After which I see Q when i do a "rabbitmqctl
list_queues".
* Before I bring up client at m2, I publish a messge to X with a routing key
K...
Issue  : Since client at m2 is up and has a process subscribed to Q, I expect
that process to receive the message... It doesnt..
Further more... I notice that when i bring client at m2 back up, It restarts
its subscribers... now all messages published to X with K are sent ONLY to
client at m2.

I was wondering if anyone's faced the same problem.. and if so how did u get
around it..
Thanx in Advance..

-Arun