[rabbitmq-discuss] Making backups of RabbitMQ state?

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu Nov 5 09:12:46 GMT 2009

Robert,

Robert Raschke wrote:
> But for the persistant messages I am not so sure. How is the
> rabbit_persister.LOG managed? Can I just take a backup copy of it
> whenever, or may I only take one of the rabbit_persister.LOG.previous?

I'd back up both files. It should be possible to restore the
rabbit_persister.LOG from a backup even when that backup was taken in
the middle of an append - I haven't tested that though. The .previous
log is needed in case the backup takes place while the log is being rolled.

> Where would I look to find out how often it is rolled?

The logic for deciding when to roll the log is rather complex.

> Can I trigger a manual roll?

rabbit_persister:force_snapshot() in the Erlang shell does the trick.

Regards,

Matthias.