[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq + graphite integration

Dmitriy Samovskiy dmitriy.samovskiy at cohesiveft.com
Thu May 21 21:14:21 BST 2009

Hi all,

This might be of interest to some of you I hope.

I put together some python scripts to be able to send data to Graphite via RabbitMQ
instead of using direct TCP connections.

Graphite is an open source charts and graphing solution that was developed within Orbitz.
It's very flexible and powerful and includes a very nice web UI (written in Django) and
its model fits very well with AMQP - graphite doesn't do any polling by itself and just
takes what you send, so you are in control of how to set up hierarchies of your metrics.

In particular, there is a script in examples/ directory which lets you build charts of
your rabbitmq queues - how much memory they consume, how many messages there are, etc
(essentially, what rabbitmqctl provides).

All written in python, uses py-amqplib. If you don't like python, it's quite easy to
replace the consumer part with something else - all heavy lifting is performed by another
process (called carbon-persister) with which your consumer can communicate over a pipe.
This can even let you start building charts for the data you're already pumping via rabbit.

http://github.com/somic/graphite-rabbitmq

Graphite home: http://graphite.wikidot.com/

Cheers,
Dmitriy