[rabbitmq-discuss] Does erlang client tip work with server tip?

Keith Irwin keith.irwin at gmail.com
Sun May 17 22:31:42 BST 2009

I tried this again using the generic unix release (1.5.4), setting
appropriate environment vars such that I can start RabbitMQ using
rabbit-server, and, again, the server seems to start up fine,
indicating "broker running".

I did a fresh checkout of rabbitmq-erlang-client, used

   make BROKER_DIR=../rabbitmq_server-1.5.4/

which worked fine.

Then:

  make test_network

and I get:

erl -pa ebin rabbitmq_server/ebin -noshell -eval
'network_client_test:test(),halt().'
network_client_test: basic_get_test...*timed out*
undefined
  Failed: 0.  Skipped: 0.  Passed: 0.
One or more tests were cancelled.

On the server side, I see:

=INFO REPORT==== 17-May-2009::14:24:54 ===
accepted TCP connection on 0.0.0.0:5672 from 127.0.0.1:52226

=INFO REPORT==== 17-May-2009::14:24:54 ===
starting TCP connection <0.221.0> from 127.0.0.1:52226

=ERROR REPORT==== 17-May-2009::14:24:59 ===
error on TCP connection <0.221.0> from 127.0.0.1:52226
connection_closed_abruptly

=INFO REPORT==== 17-May-2009::14:24:59 ===
closing TCP connection <0.221.0> from 127.0.0.1:52226

Puzzling. I'm not sure if this means the erlang client is basically
broken, or there's some magic config somewhere. I guess the next step
is to try and write a client using the erlang-client code and see if
there's anything to be seen. Then to write one in Groovy (using the
java client) to see if that works.

(I'm wishing you didn't have to have rabbitmq_server even installed to
get an erlang_client, just for these sorts of reasons.)

Anyway, it would help if anyone could even tell me that this is
supposed to work! I'd be happy to struggle, as long as I've chosen the
right road to go down....

Keith