[rabbitmq-discuss] Does erlang client tip work with server tip?

Keith Irwin keith.irwin at gmail.com
Sun May 17 20:57:15 BST 2009

Folks--

Basic problem: Can't get the erlang-client network tests to succeed,
using the HG tips of rabbitmq_server and rabbitmg_erlang_client.

Error is:

erl -pa ebin rabbitmq_server/ebin -noshell -eval
'network_client_test:test(),halt().'
network_client_test: basic_qos_test...*timed out*
undefined
  Failed: 0.  Skipped: 0.  Passed: 2.
One or more tests were cancelled.

Just starting to experiment with rabbitmq. I'm mostly interested in
how to run it in a sandbox as opposed to "properly" installing it in
/opt/local/bin (MaxOS) or other such system areas.

The goal is to cd into rabbitmq, start it up, then in a separate
shell, cd into some client code (yet to be written), and start that
up, and watch things happen.

(As a comparison, ActiveMQ can run straight from the untarred
download, if you want.)

So, here's what I did:

  cd Rabbits
  hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server
  hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen
  cd rabbitmq-server
  make
  cd ebin
  erl -boot start_sasl -s rabbit

and as far as I can tell, the app starts up just fine. I even tried
appmon:start() to see all the processes and applications. Looks good
to me!

Then:
  cd Rabbits
  hg clone http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-erlang-client/
  make
  make test_network

and I get the error:

  erl -pa ebin rabbitmq_server/ebin -noshell -eval
'network_client_test:test(),halt().'
  network_client_test: basic_qos_test...*timed out*
  undefined
    Failed: 0.  Skipped: 0.  Passed: 2.
  One or more tests were cancelled.

I'm using the recent MacPorts version of Erlang (13B with fixed Eunit
installed).

I guess the first question is, does the tip of the erlang client code
work with the tip of the erlang rabbitmq code?

If so, is it possible to run rabbitmq server straight from the ebin
directory, as I've done above?  (I'm not so concerned at the moment
about a distributed set up).

Thanks!

Keith