[rabbitmq-discuss] .NET client SimpleRpcServer question

Ryan Davis ryan at acceleration.net
Tue Jun 9 23:03:33 BST 2009

Ok, last one today, I promise.

I solved this problem my adding some explicit locks in Subscription and
SimpleRpcServer.  I tried to checkout the latest source (on linux,
cygwin, and tortoiseHG) but kept getting a zlib error, so this patch is
against the source in rabbitmq-dotnet-client-1.5.3.zip downloaded from
http://www.rabbitmq.com/dotnet.html.

This patch makes SimpleRpcServer.Close threadsafe by adding:

   1. locking SimpleRpcServer.m_subscription around the body of
      SimpleRpcServer.MainLoop's foreach (so we can't close while
      processing)
   2. checking for a null Subscription.Consumer before processing a
      message in SimpleRpcServer.MainLoop, but after we've locked
      m_subscription (to ensure we don't process after we've closed)
   3. locking this around the body of Subscription.Close (to ensure we
      don't close that same subscription at the same time)

I *think* that solves the potential race conditions.  It certainly makes
my tests work, and running "nant unit" on the 1.5.3 source gives 2
failures in TestSharedQueue.cs that look timing-related.

Thanks,

Ryan Davis
Acceleration.net
Director of Programming Services