[rabbitmq-discuss] Return message? [Was: Re: Sample code for python?]

Allen Fowler allen.fowler at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 21:33:02 BST 2009

> > I'm not at all clear what Carrot adds over plain py-amqplib ... I can't even
> find the docs.
>
> I'm sorry, what I meant to post was "Celery" not "Carrot" (baah! Too
> many rabbit related project :-)
> http://www.celeryq.org/index.html
>
> Which is a RabbitMQ friendly Django Task Queue framework.

Ah Ok.  An understandable confusion. :)

> > My question, in general, is how does the rabbitmq system deal with the need to
> > report back (in a guaranteed timely manner) to the entity submitting a
> > request/job the result of said request/job.  (either the response returned from
> > the worker, or an error staing the request has expired.)
>
> Celery has lots of stuff on Tasks (aka Jobs):
> http://www.celeryq.org/reference/celery.task.base.html
>
> so you'll probably be able to solve you problems with that.

>From the looks of it Celery is very python specific...   sending pickled tasks is not at all what we need.

In our case, the back-end machines will be .net or possibly Java.  The front end web-UI will be python. (Likely TurboGears 2)

As it stands now, the front end machines will be calling specific functions on the back-end boxes via a basic HTTP/XML API.  For instance:  "Place order for customer X"

The back-end machines do whatever processing they need and reply with a result code.  (Success, No Stock Left, System Busy, etc.)

My idea was to use RabbitMQ for the request transport instread of HTTP.  Is this a resonaable idea? Can/Should RabbitMQ be used in this sort of environment?