[rabbitmq-discuss] Mercurial usage: "default", not "tip"

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:49:49 GMT 2009

Sean,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Sean Treadway <sean at soundcloud.com> wrote:
> Under the "Latest Snapshot" heading for the following links:
>
> rabbitmq-server http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/archive/tip.zip
> rabbitmq-codegen http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen/archive/tip.zip
> rabbitmq-stomp http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-stomp/archive/tip.zip
>
> Are these archive links also branchless?

Yes, they always point to the current tip, which is essentially an
(un)lucky dip.

So for example, and I'm using the Java client to show this, because as
I write this the tip and the head revision of the default branch of
the server are the same - hence if you went for the server right now,
you'd get lucky.

But if you went for the tip of the Java client, you'd get
312cfc0b8f05, but the latest QA'ed work is the head of the default
branch, i.e. a7ead3fa59d9, which contains some stuff that Matthias was
just hacking on.

Personally, and I stress that this is my only own opinion, I think the
tip concept in mercurial is misleading and adds no value. It confuses
the uninitiated because its behavior is not apparent. As somebody
trying to get people to use our not-yet-released code, it is
especially annoying.

As Tony indicated beforehand,

hg up -C default

will get you the latest and greatest QA'ed code that will go into the
next release.

HTH,

Ben