[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: question on the faq

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com
Mon Jan 5 16:30:06 GMT 2009

Tim,

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Tim Coote <tim+rabbitmq.com at coote.org> wrote:
> Hullo

Hi :-)

> Remember, I'm new to messaging technology. I'm coming at this area from a
> more general perspective.

Understood and I would not wish to dissuade anyone from asking about
this stuff.  It is an essential part of the community process around
AMQP.  Ask away and comment freely!

If you follow the google cloud computing group, you will see a similar
discussion, this time about eventual consistency.  My point being -
here be dragons - people should discuss it and discuss it until it is
clear and all good implementations work.

> Starting with Gray and Reuter's definition of a
> Transaction (an ACID unit of work). My guess is that the term's used in a
> different way in the messaging community, so I'm likely to make mistakes.
>  My background is mostly about understanding how to control technology and
> its use, so I focus on understanding the limits first.

For sure; and your point about making it easier for end users (eg app
dev) to avoid mistakes, with minimal code, was spot on.

In fact one can take two different views of transactions in the sense
of AMQP TX:

1. Operations are operations on *resources* - so more like databases
(Jim Gray et al.).

This would be fine if it made sense for messaging but arguably it does
not fit messaging in every case.  It makes some sense in the MQ-style
idempotent delivery case; and when HA is well defined in combination
with that; and in some DTX cases.  It would also make sense if all
operations on resources in AMQP (when that makes sense) were
explicitly formalised as such and grouping laws were similarly
defined.

2. Operations are about control of a *stream*.

We like this view as being consistent with AMQP in its full
generality.  Also, as Carl implied, there is a case for seeing TX as
an "acknowledgement pattern" if you take the interpretation Matthias
and I described for 0-8/9 TX.

> Atomic means either everything happens or nothing happens as far as the
> system using a transactional interface is concerned.

At the risk of being Clintonian, it depends what you mean by
'happens'.  Routing to a queue is acceptable streaming behaviour.  So
if the queue fails after being routed to, then it is not unreasonable
to treat something as having 'happened'.

> At minimum, I'd expect
> that if my app sends a message to n recipients, they either all get it or
> none of them do and my app is reliably informed what the outcome was.

We should discuss this some more.  In my own view some of such cases
are better handled using idemptotent delivery; or even DTX.

> interpreted Gordon's comment to mean that there were side effects that could
> be abused by programmers to mean that the message had got through.

I don't think so - but I may be wrong.  I think Gordon's point shows
how TX in 0-8/9 leaves room for debate in some cases.  We would LOVE
to reach a more precise definition acceptable to the 0-8/9 user base,
pending 1.0.

> My
> concern would be that some programmer would use a side effect and come to
> the wrong conclusion.  I probably need to read the specs before I make more
> of a fool of myself.  I'll try to read them before I make any comment after
> this.

Please DO let us know what you think of 0-9-1.  How can we improve it?

> I know some of the guys in JPMC at that time.  They knew what they were
> doing.

Yes they did.  Maximum respect.

> Of course, they could have been different people from the ones that
> were working on what became RabbitMQ, although one did tell me that he was
> sponsoring some open source messaging work.

Yes - RabbitMQ implementation began after 0-8 was made public.  Since
then we have had discussions with past and new implementors through
the magic of the AMQP WG.

alexis