[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: question on the faq

Tim Coote tim+rabbitmq.com at coote.org
Mon Jan 5 15:11:09 GMT 2009

Hullo
Remember, I'm new to messaging technology. I'm coming at this area
from a more general perspective. Starting with Gray and Reuter's
definition of a Transaction (an ACID unit of work). My guess is that
the term's used in a different way in the messaging community, so I'm
likely to make mistakes.  My background is mostly about understanding
how to control technology and its use, so I focus on understanding the
limits first.

Atomic means either everything happens or nothing happens as far as
the system using a transactional interface is concerned. At minimum,
I'd expect that if my app sends a message to n recipients, they either
all get it or none of them do and my app is reliably informed what the
outcome was. I interpreted Gordon's comment to mean that there were
side effects that could be abused by programmers to mean that the
message had got through.  My concern would be that some programmer
would use a side effect and come to the wrong conclusion.  I probably
need to read the specs before I make more of a fool of myself.  I'll
try to read them before I make any comment after this.

 From your bottom example, I'd say that if one of the queues
disappeared before the tx had been committed, then it should fail and
rollback. It sounds like a 'theoretically' simple example in
distributed systems :-)  There seems to be a bigger problem in
assuring consistent arrival of messages at a destination in a unicast
case, let alone a multicast model.

I know some of the guys in JPMC at that time.  They knew what they
were doing.  Of course, they could have been different people from the
ones that were working on what became RabbitMQ, although one did tell
me that he was sponsoring some open source messaging work.

Tim