[rabbitmq-discuss] building chat

Ram Muthiah ram.muthiah at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 18:33:52 BST 2009

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the reply. I am working on this application to achieve the business goal. It’s the real thing!

The idea is to have chat inside my iPhone application. iPhone app interacts with my server code to get the list of friends and their presence. iPhone displays all friends in the chat window, user can pick a friend and chat with him/her.

Whenever the chat message is routed thru RabbitMQ server and if there is no ack from the friend, program can check the application server for the presence and let the user knows if his friend is offline.

I think I can avoid using XMPP gateway on top of RabbitMQ.

I don’t quite understand about default exchange you mentioned. I didn’t even know there is a default exchange. Can I use this default exchange for both one-to-one chat and multi-user chat?

I am using different queues for both of these chat types. There will be only one queue for mult-user chat, each user will read from it and write into it. For one-to-one chat, each user will have his/her own queue. If I want to send message to my friend, I will send message to his queue, then he read from there. When he wants to send message to me, he will put his message in my queue, I will take it from there.

I assumed that I need to have separate exchanges for different chat types. It appears that I can use the same exchange. Is there any user/message limit on each exchange?

Thanks again for taking time to answer my queries.

Ram