[rabbitmq-discuss] building chat

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:22:05 BST 2009

Ram,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Ram Muthiah<ram.muthiah at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Based on Ben and Alexis's discussion, I came up with the following logic.
> Let me know if you guys see any flaw in it. I use two exchanges; one for
> one-to-one chat and another for multi-user chat. Clients will use Java. I
> create one queue per user. Effectively, there will be two queues per chat.

Fundamentally I don't see that much wrong with it. However I am
wondering what your intention is - do you need an application to
achieve a business goal or are you just getting your feet wet with
AMQP?

Here are some study notes:

- If you want to route directly to a named queue, you can publish to
the default exchange (In Java this an empty string as a name) with the
name of the queue as a routing key. No need to create an extra
exchange for this;

- How is your application going to know about the non-acknowledgement
of messages on the outbound side (this is where you expect the client
to display the "user offline")? Seems to me that you need presence to
do this (i.e. the 1st P in XMPP).

Cheers,

Ben