[rabbitmq-discuss] basic design question

Isaac Cambron icambron at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:33:16 BST 2009

I did get the tip revision to work (the problem was just that I hadn't shut
down the server properly). However, I'm still not seeing the desired
behavior. I have two programs:

The client, which does this:

ch.QueueDeclare("myqueue");
ch.ExchangeDeclare("ex", ExchangeType.Direct);
ch.QueueBind("myqueue", "ex", "test", false, null);
for (int i = 0; i < 11; i++ )
                    ch.BasicPublish("ex", "test", null,
Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes("message " + i));

and the server, which does this:

                QueueingBasicConsumer consumer = new
QueueingBasicConsumer();
                ch.BasicConsume("myqueue", true, null, consumer);
                ch.BasicQos(0, 1, false);

                while (true)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        BasicDeliverEventArgs e = (BasicDeliverEventArgs)
consumer.Queue.Dequeue();
                        Console.WriteLine(Encoding.UTF8.GetString(e.Body));

                        Thread.Sleep(seconds * 1000); //pretend to take a
while

                        ch.BasicAck(e.DeliveryTag, false);
                    }

If I run the client and then two different instances of the server, one with
the seconds variable set to 1 second and the other with 2, I'd expect the
former instance to print twice as many message bodies. Instead, they
alternate, as if they had just aggressively fetched everything in the queue
in a round-robin way.

Do I have something conceptually wrong, or is that an implementation issue?