[rabbitmq-discuss] Newer version of the erlang emulator and RabbitMQ

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:07:05 BST 2008

Eran,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Eran Sandler <eran.sandler at gmail.com> wrote:
> The version of erlang distributed for Windows is rather old (about 1+ years
> old).
>
> Is there any specific benefit for moving to a new emulator?

We have had various reports of performance increases when moving from
11RB-x to 12RB-y, so it would be definitely worth your while to
upgrade to the latest version of Erlang (I am using 12RB-4).

As much as anything, the OTP team has put in lots of fixes and
performance increases in the last year, so it is good idea to keep up
to date with this.

> Is there a test suite of some kind that I can use if I want to test RabbitMQ
> on Windows on a newer erlang emulator?

If you want to test the performance, you can look at the performance
tests in the Java client (MulticastMain, ProducerMain, ConsumerMain).

> I suspect that my previous problems that caused the 541 error might be
> related to a combination of Windows, old erlang and RabbitMQ and I want to
> rule that out.

I shouldn't think so, but it would be very interesting to know if this
were really the case.

> I hope that the new erlsrv might fix the issue that I'm currently
> experiencing.

Without having any experience of this, I can't comment.

Ben