[rabbitmq-discuss] Header Exchange

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 09:07:32 BST 2008

Tsuraan,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM, tsuraan <tsuraan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does RabbitMQ have some analogue to AMQP-0.10's header exchange?  Is
> there any way to route messages based on headers in 0.8, or is
> everything just based on the routing key?

No, it doesn't. This was actually specified before 0.10, but we felt
that the actual specification of this was

a) not clear enough to produce a tractable implementation;
b) significantly more difficult that the other types of exchanges;
c) until now, not that many have been asking about it;

so we deferred its implementation until sufficient spec clarification
and justification came to be.

This is in the pipeline, but there is no ETA for it at the moment.

So the exchange types you currently have with Rabbit are the direct,
fanout and topic exchanges.

> Along that line, is there a list of RabbitMQ's protocol extensions, or
> is it just a pure-0.8 implementation right now?

Have a look at the compatibility information for Rabbit:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/compatibility.html

Version 0.91 (as a service pack for 0.9) is currently being reviewed
by the working group and when this is signed, we will implement that.

HTH,

Ben