[rabbitmq-discuss] Pub/sub with expiring reply queue

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:15:38 GMT 2008

Rich,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Richard Marr <richard.marr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only thing that doesn't exist yet is message expiry (is on the
>> roadmap, but as always, no ETA).
>
> Okay, well I should be able to deal with that myself. If my solution
> is relatively generic I'll send it to you guys to consider.

Message expiry *may* not turn out to be an issue for you depending on
how you want to map the RPC semantics. IIRC the Java RpcClient does
not have a client side timeout anyway, the invoker blocks
indefinitely. Message TTLs would be nice, but whether or not this is
strictly required will depend on your app.

> Mainly I just wanted to get a bit of reassurance that I'm not planning
> on using a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

Sure - the idea of the pattern is to temporally decouple the RPC
bottom half by making it asynchronous.

HTH,

Ben