[rabbitmq-discuss] Pub/sub with expiring reply queue

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 11:42:13 GMT 2008

Richard,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Richard Marr <richard.marr at gmail.com> wrote:
> The rough flow in my head goes like this:
>
> 1) Messages are published on the queue
> 2) The publishing code creates a temporary reply queue
> 3) One or more subscribers will post replies
> 4) Once all replies are received, or a time limit is reached, reply
> queue is removed
> 5) Replies are merged and returned to the calling code

This sounds like plain jane async RPC over AMQP. It is a fairly
commonly used pattern.

There are building blocks (generic RPC server and client modules) in a
lot of the AMQP client packages.

A few examples:

- http://www.rabbitmq.com/api-guide.html#rpc
- http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/7/4/server-side-as3.html

The only thing that doesn't exist yet is message expiry (is on the
roadmap, but as always, no ETA).

HTH,

Ben