[rabbitmq-discuss] Flow Control

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:49:27 BST 2008

Brian,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Brian Sullivan <bsullivan at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> What we have is a simple log file that we are then tailing and converting
> into messages - this allows us to be logging in a simple way, using our
> existing code, then we can attach a reader to funnel these messages into a
> more flexible messaging system like RabbitMQ.  There we subscribe across the
> event types (topics) and consume in various ways.  The log file is both a
> reliable "fire and forget", as well as a common format to be consumed by
> other processes if we needed.

OK, I see. It has just occurred to me that you were using the Java
client to accomplish this task. Just FTR I wanted to point out the
existence of the Ruby (http://github.com/tmm1/amqp/tree/master) and
Python (http://barryp.org/software/py-amqplib/) clients which are
slightly more amenable to scripting that the Java library is.

> So while it might be a bottleneck to mix all the messages together, it's an
> acceptable one from our standpoint.  Let me know if I am still unclear, or
> if you see something wrong with this approach.

No that seems reasonable from the perspective that a catch all binding
key is simpler to maintain that requiring knowledge of the entirety of
all possible routing keys.

Ben