[rabbitmq-discuss] Flow Control

Brian Sullivan bsullivan at lindenlab.com
Wed Oct 22 16:39:22 BST 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 4:19 AM, Ben Hood wrote:

>> Yeah, it is a bottleneck, but just for each host - and we are less
>> worried
>> about latency than we are about fault tolerance, because this is a
>> logging
>> system.  We currently have a similar system running, and want the
>> hosts to
>> be able to dump their logging messages easily (locally), then just
>> have a
>> process to pick this heterogeneous mix of logging messages and
>> transmit them
>> all to the exchange, on the appropriate topics.
>
> Are you talking about some fast local broker that relays to a slower
> *less-local* broker thus giving the producer the maximum amount of
> bandwith in order to do a reliable fire and forget?

What we have is a simple log file that we are then tailing and
converting into messages - this allows us to be logging in a simple
way, using our existing code, then we can attach a reader to funnel
these messages into a more flexible messaging system like RabbitMQ.
There we subscribe across the event types (topics) and consume in
various ways.  The log file is both a reliable "fire and forget", as
well as a common format to be consumed by other processes if we needed.

So while it might be a bottleneck to mix all the messages together,
it's an acceptable one from our standpoint.  Let me know if I am still
unclear, or if you see something wrong with this approach.  Thanks
again for the speedy responses on all of this!

Brian