[rabbitmq-discuss] Name of particular mercurial branch for basic.qos feature?

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Sun Nov 30 22:48:03 GMT 2008

Brian,

Brian Noguchi wrote:
> If I don't use the branch, what strategy would you
> suggest in order to make sure that several consumers of a queue are
> consuming an equal number of messages without all the messages piling up
> into the local buffer of a consumer?  Any other alternatives than just
> doing a Basic.get periodically?

That depends on the use case.

Is the number of consumers constant?

Can you arrange for all consumers to subscribe before messages are being
published?

Are all your consumers operating at approximately the same rate?

Is the total rate of consumption greater than the rate of publication?
(It better be, or you will run out of memory eventually)

Depending on the answers to the above, the normal round-robin
distribution mechanisms employed by queues may suffice.

Matthias
PS: please keep the list cc'ed.