[rabbitmq-discuss] persistence

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu May 22 10:08:44 BST 2008

Lars,

Lars Bachmann wrote:
> Anyway u mentioned that u know this problem with the closed channel and
> u re working on it and it ll be fixed with the next release. Can u say
> when the next release will be published ? (some weeks, months, years ;-))

We hope to have a new release in a few weeks.

> In our company we comparing different messaging solutions and rabbitmq
> seemed to be a good one, but the problems with the presistent messages
> are unfortunatelly a big minus.

The problem actually isn't with persistent messaging, but with sending
lots of messages at a rate greater than the broker can process, and
building up backlogs of 10th of thousands of messages in doing do.
Persistence increases the workload and thus lowers the processing rate,
which makes the problem more noticeable when persistence is enabled.

The bug is not causing any difficulties in practice unless *all* of the
following are true of your clients:
- they publish messages to the broker at a rate that significantly
exceeds the brokers processing capacity
- they sustain such a rate for a significant period of time (i.e. not
just a few second blip)
- they disconnect shortly after sending all these messages

Regards,

Matthias.