[rabbitmq-discuss] persistence

Lars Bachmann lars.bachmann at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed May 14 09:41:49 BST 2008

hello,

since some days Im trying to learn and understand rabbitmq. I think
the decoupling between routing information and stored data very nice
and flexible. I was able to configure the typical pub/sub scenario
with one publisher and many subsriber. The publisher sends the
messages to the exchange and the exchanges routes the messages to
several queues. On each queue one subscriber is listening. If i send
the messages transient without storing them to memory or harddisk
everything works how it supposed to be. (each subsriber receives all
messages). If i switch to persistent messages some problems occur and
i dont know why.

1. if my producer sends only a small amount of messages (lets say
5000), then all queues receive all messages persistent and everything
is ok
2. if my producer sends a larger amount of messages (lets say 100000),
then some strange behaviour appears. All queues receive only some of
this messages. Sometimes 80% sometimes 50% sometimes even only 10% =>
i couldnt discover any pattern, it seemed to be just random

So Im wondering why this happens. Could it be that there are too many
messages to persist and the broker cant handle it because of i dont
know too less memory or some like this ?

Another question: Lets say we have 5 subscriber (each listen to his
"own" queue) in the pub / sub scenario and we want persistent message
storing. Does this mean that each messages is stored 5 times ? (and
for n subscribers n times which would cause a big overhead)

Or maybe Im doing something completly wrong in realising a durable
pub/sub scenario where every subsriber must receive all messages.

Thank you

best regards

Lars