[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq out of memory

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Wed Jul 23 19:39:04 BST 2008

David,

David.Corcoran at edftrading.com wrote:
> Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at lshift.net> wrote on 18/07/2008 10:40:35:
>> For instance, you could type
>> "i()." into the shell:

> The output is huge so I'm not sure how helpful it will be to you apart from
> to say it probably shouldn't be 13,000 lines ;)

There is some useful info in there. For example, you have over 600
connections. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but is it expected?

Unfortunately the information sheds no light on where the memory has
gone. A more detailed report might provide some clues. Please run

file:write_file("/tmp/processes.erl", io_lib:format("~p",
[[process_info(P) || P <- processes()]])).

and mail us the output file. The file may be quite big, so it's probably
best to just send it to Tony or me rather than the list. Also, you may
want to scan it for any sensitive information first.

> one thing I forgot to mention is that it's constantly using about 10%
> CPU.

And that happens when there are no messages going through the system?

Part of the time will be spent sending and receiving heartbeat frames on
your 600+ connections. That should take much less than 10% of the CPU
though. Still, you may want to increase the heartbeat interval to see
whether that makes a difference. There are config params/methods in the
client API for that.

Regards,

Matthias.