[rabbitmq-discuss] erlang-client problem on OS X (empty_rpc_bottom_half)

Matt Stancliff sysop at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 12 05:26:22 GMT 2008

Ben,

On Dec 11, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Ben Hood wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Matt Stancliff
> <sysop at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> With broker ba92db335a3e and erlang client a055acaa2a13 I see the
>> following:
>> - Linux: channel.open_ok -> done.
>> - OS X:  channel.open_ok -> {channel.flow, false} -> done.

   Your extremely useful write-up about flow control [1] found its way
to me today.  I didn't realize {channel.flow, false} was being
triggered by me having less than 5% memory free.  I ended up writing a
rabbit_memsup_darwin.erl to take into account cache and buffers, but
it looks like memsup reports correctly enough.

Lesson learned.  When developing with unpredictable memory usage*,
manually increase the memory threshold:
memsup:set_sysmem_high_watermark(0.99).

[1]: http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/11/9/flow-control-in-rabbitmq.html
* I'm staring at you, Firefox, Camino, and Safari.

Thanks again,

-Matt
--
Matt Stancliff                    San Jose, CA
AIM: seijimr              iPhone: 678-591-9337