[rabbitmq-discuss] Elang and rabbit MQ upgrade - how do I now get my rabbit to eat the correct Erlang cookie?

Brendon Glenk bglenk at we-do-it.com
Thu May 29 23:26:11 BST 2014

Hi Guys,

I installed Erlang R16B01 (otp_win32_R16B01.exe) last year on Windows Server 2008. Then installed rabbitmq-server-3.1.5.exe on top. Added the rabbitMQ management plugin and tweaked it a little bit by adding handle.exe. I made no other changes I can remember and it just all worked brilliantly. Thanks for a great package.

That was a good 3 months ago and it's been working flawlessly. I recently needed to upgrade and I've broken something.

Here's what's happened:

I installed using rabbitmq-server-3.3.1.exe? which correctly forced the removal of v3.1.5 first. Then I tried to add the management plugin and it said it was already there. Now the fun starts... no web management accessible.

Next I removed both Erlang and Rabbit and reinstalled otp_win64_17.0.exe (erl6.0) and then installed rabbit 3.3.1 on top. Still no joy with the web management so time for diagnostics.

Well, I first found out that for some reason HOMEDRIVE setting of z: crashed the service. That's fix by just setting home drive to c: reinstall rabbitMQ service and off we go... I thought. Well, not that easy. It's now changed the default port to 25672 (from 15672) and I can live with that, but I get a friendly page in chrome saying "no data received". Well, time to get a bit more hardcore...

So I went ot the shell and thought I'd reset the rabbitMQ and I get:

C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.1\sbin>rabbitmqctl reset
Resetting node 'rabbit at SW-PROCESS' ...
Error: unable to connect to node 'rabbit at SW-PROCESS': nodedown

DIAGNOSTICS
===========

attempted to contact: ['rabbit at SW-PROCESS']

rabbit at SW-PROCESS:
  * connected to epmd (port 4369) on SW-PROCESS
  * epmd reports node 'rabbit' running on port 25672
  * TCP connection succeeded but Erlang distribution failed
  * suggestion: hostname mismatch?
  * suggestion: is the cookie set correctly?

current node details:
- node name: 'rabbitmqctl3108369 at SW-PROCESS'
- home dir: Z:\
- cookie hash: BgIviugom+F/F3cai8uQ0Q==

C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.1\sbin>

I  believe the hostname is fine, so how do I now get my rabbit to eat the correct Erlang cookie?

Kind regards,

Brendon Glenk