[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ server fails to start on clustered erlang node

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 22 09:26:59 BST 2014

On 21/05/2014 18:23, Lars Sommer wrote:
> Starting rabbitmq-server: FAILED - check
> /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_{log, _err}
>
> ls /var/log/rabbitmq
>
> startup_err
>
> cat /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_err
>
> Wed May 21 10:16:31 PDT 2014 - rabbitmq failed to start
> Wed May 21 10:20:31 PDT 2014 - rabbitmq failed to start
>
> Can anyone help me identify where my conflict might be? Clearly it has
> some sort of problem with the existing erlang cluster but I am not sure
> what it is.

Sadly the packaging of RabbitMQ in 12.04 had a bug introduced into it by
Canonical which causes /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_{log,err} to be
overwritten with these unhelpful error messages. So I don't think we are
going to be able to help you.

You can download much more up to date .debs from:
   http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-debian.html

Cheers, Simon