[rabbitmq-discuss] Meaning of message_stats contents

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 21 10:30:11 BST 2014

On 21/05/14 10:24, Michael Klishin wrote:
> On 21 May 2014 at 13:20:21, John Tuley (jtuley at pivotallabs.com) wrote:
>>> Specifically, we're wondering about message_stats and the
>> difference between deliver_get and deliver_no_ack. Our use
>> case is a tool that periodically reports the number of messages
>> published to our queue as well as the number of messages delivered
>> (i.e. reporting flow through the queue). (Or maybe message_stats
>> is the wrong place to look for that information?)
>
> The difference is how messages are retrieved: using basic.get (on demand)
> or basic.consume (a long-running subscription). message_stats is the right
> place to look to collect queue rate samples.

btw, the management UI, in particular its help texts, is a good source
of information for what these values mean, e.g.

"
Deliver (noack)
     Rate at which messages not requiring acknowledgement are being
delivered in response to basic.consume.

Get
     Rate at which messages requiring acknowledgement are being
delivered in response to basic.get.
"

Matthias.