[rabbitmq-discuss] Convert sync to async by time

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 20 10:49:46 BST 2014

On 15/05/14 19:14, RabbitLove wrote:
> Is there a way to convert sync message to asynchronous by the timeout? For
> example, if a sync request is running longer than 10 second, I would like to
> change it to the async request.

Assuming by "message" you mean "AMQP command" (since publishing of
actual messages is always async in AMQP) then no, that is not possible.

Some client libraries might provide timeouts for synchronous commands
but the spec forbids clients from pipelining synchronous commands on the
same channel, so clients would not be able to send a subsequent
synchronous command until a response to the prior command has been received.

Matthias.