[rabbitmq-discuss] Reset Queues/Exchanges Only?

Robert Parker reparker23 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:15:37 BST 2014

We are running rabbitmq 3.1.5 under Erlang R16B02.  We're running with
2-node clusters where both consumers and producers are .NET services using
either Borrow or MassTransit wrappers.  These services do ALL of the
queue/exchange definition/initialization.  Periodically, we will have a
code change where we will abandon certain queues and we will need to clean
out all available queues on a cluster and have these services
 re-initialize them.  The way we have been doing it is to take one node of
the cluster and run:

node1# rabbitmqctl stop_app
node1# rabbitmqctl reset

However, when we do this for the purpose of simply cleaning out the unused
old queues and exchanges, it also destroys the clustering config, HA policy
config, and any local users we might have defined.

Is there an easy way to force the destruction of all the queues and
exchanges on a rabbitmq cluster, but leave all other configurations
(clustering, federation, shovel, users, policies) alone?  All I want to do
is nuke all queues/exchanges and have the client services re-initialize
them.  Having to re-setup all the other configs after doing a "rabbitmqctl
reset" or "rabbitmqctl force_reset" is becoming cumbersome and a source of
mistakes.  We're not interested in using the API from the consumer or
publisher end to delete named individual queues/exchanges, we need a
generic process that can be initiated as an administrative task from the
rabbitmq server itself.

Thanks in advance