[rabbitmq-discuss] OOM kill

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sat Mar 8 15:24:45 GMT 2014

On 08/03/14 14:54, Dmitry Andrianov wrote:
> If no ulimit is used - we are susceptible to that OOM DOS. And if we
> set ulimit, it is still possible to DOS us - Rabbit won't die but
> won't accept connections from consumers either.
>
> it feels like that kind of DOS protection should be part of Rabbit
> itself.

I am curious what you propose rabbit should be doing here.

The ulimit does bound the overall connection-related memory use, since
there is an upper bound on how much memory can be associated with each
connection (most of which, incidentally, tends to be socket buffer
space, so reducing that is advisable for high-connection-count
configurations).

Any ulimit (and there is always one, though it may be very high) means
that when it is reached then no more connections can be accepted. There
is no way around that.

Matthias.